In the book Holding On, Maury Graham has made the biggest impact by changing my views of hobos. He explains the difference between hobos and bums and I never knew the difference. A theme that stood out was he liked to compare hobos and bums, He makes it very clear that bums ask for hand outs without anything in return and hobos ask but will give work in return. I feel this is important because I never knew the difference between the two and I always thought they were the same. I see hobos differently now and understand if they come from a broken home that they could be forced to live like that from a young age. I thought it was interesting when he explained how hobos got the name hobo and how they would carry pebbles to show that they were a hobo and not a bum, for trust purposes. That really stood out to me, because it is like they live in their own world and many people view hobos in a bad way but they don't understand that some might have come from a broken home or they are less fortunate than most people. I am really enjoying reading this book and I can't wait to read more.
Tuesday, January 16, 2018
Journal Two by Hayden Wallace
Hi, my name is Hayden Wallace. I graduated high school from River Valley and there I played basketball and football through my high school career. I currently hold the single game scoring record in basketball at River Valley. I scored forty-five points in one game and that game is one i will never forget. Basketball has always been my favorite hobby, I still play in pick-up games around Marion but I plan on playing college basketball next school year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey Hayden, I wanted to comment on yours because you brought up the fact of not knowing between the bums and the hoboes. I learned a lot from the way the hoboes lived together and how their relationship became a family more than anything. Starting with the pebbles and the little notes they left eachother and even having eachother's backs when it comes to clean pots and a clean, healthy environment. That is something that stood out to me as well! Now for the bums.. they just come along and mess that all up.
ReplyDeleteOh and I love basketball, so the fact that you scored 45 points in one game is actually insane!
ReplyDelete