Friday, January 12, 2018

Journal 2 By Derick

Hi, my name is Derick Graham. I am a junior here at The Ohio State University and my major is accounting through the Fisher school of business. I enjoy accounting and take half of my classes at main campus. I also enjoy spending time with friends and family, playing sports and my favorite hobby is going out on the boat at Lake Erie, Alum creek lake and Delaware State park.

 So far reading Holding On, I have really enjoyed it. Reading the stories of people that will never make it in history books, yet have very interesting stories and great lessons to be learned from. My favorite profile that I read was Steam-train Maury Graham. I think the story was very interesting to read and it caught my eye because he has the same last name as me and is from Ohio as well. The major theme that stuck out to me is that no matter what you look like on the outside, that does not define you as a good or bad person. He was a hobo and he worked hard to survive, going from place to place to work for food. I think that is very honorable, and many people don't see it that way. I also see this as a story to tell people that some people do not have to make a lot of money or have great success to be happy and live the life they live. I feel like this is important because I know a lot of people feel this way but do not lead the life they want to because they feel as if it is more important to be seen as a better individual to society. I highlight the writing at its best when Maury talks about himself and his life because I like that kind of writing and it held my favorite information about him

Do you think that in Today's world that there are people like Steam-Train Maury Graham traveling around trading services for food or do you think that many people today wouldn't answer the door for a rugged looking man or woman?

1 comment:

  1. I feel like it is a difference of times in the comfort level of allowing strangers to do work in exchange for food or cash. In our grandparents generations the level of community and supporting each other was stronger than in our generation. I feel there would be a neagtive stigma today in freely allowing a stranger to do work in communities where community watches are established.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.