Thursday, February 15, 2018

Journal Five:Amanda Gifford


The profile that I found intriguing was on Stanley Kilarr's record collection. The question that immediately came to mind is there a museum dedicated to vinyl's. Upon researching I found an article on the largest collection which belongs to Zero Freitas which contains over 6 million records and lps. The most intriguing part of the article wasn't so much the cataloging of the articles as much as the culture surrounding it. That there are artists in brazil who recorded and didn't buy a single one of their records that are now scavenging shops to find one. The desire to be able to have a small piece of what they created to pass down to their family. The production of records was limited and that some of the most precious cultural pieces are on a vinyl made in a limited quantity. The fact that 80 % of American music is uploaded digitally and available compared to 20 % in Brazil leaving a significant gap in their music history. The fact that vinyl's are physical it leads to extreme importance in trying to preserve them for their cultural value and significance. "If you go through your life with records, then your collection might be a record of your life"-Zero Freitas .

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/inside-the-worlds-biggest-record-collection-an-interview-with-zero-freitas/

 The vocab word I feel is central to Z.L Hil's profile is : Dilapidated- decayed, deteriorated, or fallen into partial ruin especially through neglect or misuse (Merriam-Webster). I feel it is central because opposite is present within her soulful mothering of figures from the run down hospital turned into hotel. The fact that she didn't look to take on the project to prosper but to offer a place of refugee. "When I first got here I didn't have no money (ain't got none now) but I had faith". Her actions of sharing what she had to offer people in a small part of their journey highlights her warm hospitality.

"Today, when people come down to Coney Island they see it through the eyes of child. They don't see what we see -- the empty lots and the neglect -- they just see the lights and the rides and forget what's around them"- Matt Kennedy (pg. 162).

 This quote really resonated with thinking about how people seek the thrill of the experience. Matt lived the Coney Island experience and through his course be able to see it for what it is compared to tourists. That many tourists sites are commercialized to the extent it tries to cover up the reality of the actual site. The amusement in the child like state is innocent and can overlook the negative in the experience of traveling to run down areas. The hope that Matt holds in the preservation of the site inspires a mindset for the next generations. To value the nontangible feelings and memories versus material status.



3 comments:

  1. I think it's great how you highlighted the fact she was a soulful mothering figure, because I think this "mother-like" attitude is what kept people coming back to her hotel. Especially musicians, who were out on tour constantly and probably didn't get to see much of their own families very much, especially their own mothers. I think part of the reason musicians were so attracted to Z.L. Hill's hotel is because of her, her warmth, and the love she provided. This is evidenced by the way one musician even woke her up when he returned to the hotel in the dead of night after finishing a tour. He wanted to see her, in the way most of us would want to see our own mothers after a long time apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's crazy how easy it is to find records and other music in America compared to other countries, I had no idea that it was that much of a difference. Also, how much room would one need to have 6 million records? I barely have enough room to live in my own bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Over 6 million records and lps. I'm curious too see how big of an area you would have to have in order to collect that many records?!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.